- I’m an island girl at heart. I was born on island (Singapore) lived in Puerto Rico as a child and then on the island of Montreal near the water. As a young adult I lived in Jamaica and then after that in Ontario, Canada, but I’ve never been far from water of some kind (canals, rivers, lakes) in any of my homes. I’ve travelled to dozens of islands all over the world and love them all. (Penang and the Aran Islands are two favorites.) I’m lucky these days to spend part of every year on a sailboat.
- I have no problem sleeping sitting up or in most other positions. In fact I once fell asleep on the back of a motorcycle (not for long…) I believe that the cure for anything is a good sleep.
- I can’t believe I’ve actually sold some of my photographs through Getty Images. My secret ambition is to sell one that is used for a book cover.
- I really dislike the cold, but for some reason I have always wanted to go to Iceland (to take pictures among other things.)
- I love to go to art galleries and soak up the inspiration of painters, photographers and other artists. Some of my icons are Lawren Harris, Georgia O’Keeffe, Wassily Kandinsky, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Minor White and Freeman Patterson. When I really get analytical, I can see how all of these have been unconscious influences on my photography. A dream is to go to the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum in New Mexico.
Some favorites for you this week
The Good Life Project interviews with Jonathan Fields: informative and entertaining – check out the ones with Lissa Rankin and Susan Piver
How to make a smoothie: yummy
My Manifesto: I kinda like it. Thought you might too.
Have a great weekend all, and for my fellow Canadians, wishing you a great Canada Day!